All About GEM Avocados
December 30th, 2021
Avocados are a delicious and nutritious component of a healthy diet. They are versatile, accessible, and are a huge part of the food culture in California. Many people consider the GEM avocado to be the best type of avocado for farmers and consumers alike, and there’s good reason.
We’ll cover those and more in this brief piece on the dynamic fruit that describes:
- What type of avocado is the GEM avocado?
- Facts about GEM avocados
- Where You Can Get GEM avocados
- How to Use GEM avocados
We hope you brought your appetite!
What Type of Avocado is the GEM Avocado
GEM avocados share a unique link to California – they were named after the initials of University of California researcher Grey E. Martin, who selected the variety. Often mistaken for Hass Avocados, they share the same pear shape with rough, thick black skin.
GEM avocados have a rich flavor, and the GEM avocado tree is a bushy evergreen with large leaves. These trees have good production and are less prone than Hass to alternate bearing - meaning they are more consistent in their production year over year. This, along with the ability to hold their fruit well on the tree makes GEM Avocados a favorite of farmers in California.
Facts to Know About GEM Avocados
- GEM Avocados are high in healthy fats – in fact, monounsaturated fatty acids can help reduce blood cholesterol.
- Avocados provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, and allow the blood to absorb more fat-soluble nutrients alongside them.
- GEM Avocados can be grown worldwide wherever growing conditions are comparable to California’s.
- GEM Avocados are a selection from seedling of the Gwen variety planted in the 1980’s.
- The scientific name of the GEM Avocado is Persea Americana Mill. It has been divided into three races: Mexican, Guatemalan, and West Indian.
Where Can I Buy GEM Avocados?
You can get GEM avocados at your local supermarket, produce wholesaler, or even in bulk from certain farms. In fact, GEM avocado trees are considered an easy exotic fruit transplant, so you can get a fruit-bearing slice of paradise in your own yard if you want to.
GEM avocados are one of the most prevalent types of avocados in California, so you’re bound to encounter them as a competitor to Hass and other varieties in most commercial settings. Ask your local grocer about them!
How to Use GEM Avocados
If you ask us, GEM Avocados go great as a main dish, side dish, or to top most savory foods!
- Avocados are most famous for being the main ingredient of guacamole, a popular Mexican dish that has become prevalent in the United States as well. Mash up some GEM avocados and mix them with onion, cilantro, spices, and lime juice.
- You can cut a GEM avocado in half and season it to eat by itself. Avocado makes a great topping or filler for tacos, burritos, sandwiches, and more.
- On the non-consumptive side of things, avocados are used as facemasks, put in lotions, and many other commercial beauty products. What can we say – GEM avocados do it all!
- To store a cut avocado, spray the exposed surfaces with lemon or lime juice and cover it in plastic wrap to diminish air exposure.
Community West Bank Helps Farmers Grow GEM Avocados
At Community West Bank, we love everything about GEM Avocados – but especially the farmers who grow and distribute them. That’s why we work to provide the best agricultural lending programs on the Central Coast. Our team aims to fulfill the financing needs of agricultural and agribusiness clients with Farmer Mac mortgage loans.
For information about available funding for land acquisitions, refinancing, or other lending options for agricultural projects, please contact us to get started. Call Laura Maffei at (209) 679-9244 or (805) 692-4394.